- "2023 was an outstanding year for Conduit Re"-CEO Carvey
- Newslink Global Insurance Trends-Editor's Weekly Highlights
- Allianz record Operating Profit and Shareholders Core Net Income in 2023
- "AXA reported strong results in 2013"-CEO Thomas Buberl
- Zurich posts record profit; raises dividend; expects EPS growth to exceed 10% over cycle
- Beazley expands focus on cyber security services with creation of Beazley Security
- Alternative-reinsurance vehicles could continue to be the primary source of new capacity in 2024-Bloomberg Intelligence expired
- Duck Creek continues commitment to the Reinsurance Industry by welcoming Xceedance as an Inaugural Ecosystem Partner for Reinsurance expired
- Matu Assurance set to expand as it selects Fadata Core Solution expired
- Lloyd’s confirms Claire Schrader as General Counsel expired
- London Market-Insurance Newslink Global Trends-Editor's Quarterly Highlights expired
- Pricing adjustments are key to German P/C Insurers' earnings recovery-S&P Global expired
11th February 2024
Telematics insurance grows in popularity driven by lower premiums and environmental concerns -The Green Insurer
Telematics insurance grows in popularity driven by lower premiums and environmental concerns
• Eight in 10 UK drivers aged 18 and over are aware of telematics motor insurance.
• More than a third will consider a telematics provider at their next insurance renewal, rising to 61% of younger drivers, who normally face higher premiums.
• Drivers with telematics insurance report lower annual insurance premiums of up to 20%.
Appetite for telematics insurance is on the rise with UK drivers, who increasingly see such policies as a way to gain reductions on their motor insurance premiums. Research1 from The Green Insurer, which is focused on helping drivers reduce carbon emissions and drive in a more environmentally friendly way, finds that the vast majority 81%) of UK car drivers are now aware of telematics insurance.
While just 8% of drivers surveyed currently use telematics devices, 35% of drivers say that they are either quite likely or very likely to consider a telematics policy at their next insurance renewal. This rises significantly to 61% of younger drivers aged 18-24 who will consider a telematics policy in the near future.
Younger drivers routinely face higher motor insurance premiums because of the risks associated with their relative inexperience. This could explain why more than a quarter (26%) of drivers aged 18-24 surveyed claim to already use a telematics device, over three times the average number of drivers surveyed claim to have one.
When asked what would convince them to use a telematics insurance policy, 59% of all drivers said they would want to see substantially lower premiums. This was followed by 29% who would like reassurance that their driving data would be secure.
A fifth 20%) of drivers said they needed proof that a telematics insurance policy would be better for the environment to consider such a policy. However, almost twice as many(39%) younger drivers aged 18-24 say their main motivation would be that it would be proven to be better for the environment.
The majority(85%) of drivers who already have a telematics device fitted report reductions in their annual premiums of up to 20%. Almost three-quarters(70%) have seen reductions of between 5% and 15%. This rises to 80% of drivers aged 18-24 who have reduced their policy costs by between 5% and 15%.
The Green Insurer has launched car insurance policies that customers can buy direct from its website and through leading price comparison websites.
A customer’s Green Driving Score in The Green Insurer’s app will be used to calculate their renewal premium and discounts when they renew. Policies are linked to the mobile app, which monitors how customers drive.
Every mile driven by customers is offset using a range of carbon offset projects which are assessed for their carbon and environmental effectiveness as well as the social impact on the people and communities where they are based.
Paul Baxter, ceo, The Green Insurer, said: “It’s interesting to see the direction of travel for telematics insurance as people become more conscious about the impact of driving on the environment. And it’s not surprising that younger drivers in particular are drawn to the benefits of telematics insurance. Their relative inexperience means they face the highest premiums, so it’s great to see how many younger drivers are already seeing a link between using telematics insurance and lower policy costs.
“Our service will help drivers of all ages save money while also encouraging safer road travel. Environmentally conscious driving doesn’t just lead to lower premiums, but also lower fuel costs and slower driving speeds.”
The Green Insurer Trends(2 articles)