- Lloyds Banking Group responds to the outcome of Cranston review
- HSBC makes changes to its senior management team
- International digital money transfer transactions to reach two billion by 2024, says Juniper
- Nomura to acquire Greentech Capital Advisors
- Saga launches global, stabilised, digital currency controlled by its holders
- Mortgage rates continue to favour first-time buyers, says Moneyfacts
- Santander commits to becoming carbon neutral in 2020 expired
- CoinBurp CEO says ‘crypto’ 100,000 times for Christmas homeless charity campaign expired
- Majority of workers borrow to pay for Christmas, finds Hastee expired
- FCA responds to Review into LBG’s handling of customers of fraud at HBOS Reading expired
- LINE Pay Taiwan collaborates with six Major international payment brands expired
- Late payments to SMEs double in 2019, finds MarketFinance expired
13th August 2019
Barclays to open its second Scottish Eagle Lab
Barclays is opening its second Eagle Lab in Scotland to support entrepreneurs in the North East of the country. The space in Aberdeen will be based within the city’s new home of digital and entrepreneurship, the ONE Tech Hub, as part of the ONE Codebase incubator and will be open for business in September.
As one of Barclays’ flagship Labs for Industry 4.0, it will help North East entrepreneurs build on and diversify from the area’s natural strength in oil and gas, as well as unlock the potential of emerging technologies – such as the Internet of Things, advanced manufacturing and robotics – associated with the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
The Lab’s Maker Space will feature facilities for digital fabrication, 3D printing and laser cutting, and a range of electronics equipment. This will provide businesses with access to the tools they need to rapidly produce and test prototypes in a matter of hours rather than weeks, avoiding prohibitive costs or having to look overseas.
Entrepreneurs using the space will be supported by an ecosystem manager who will provide mentoring, create connections and share opportunities to help high growth businesses achieve their ambitions. A dedicated Eagle Lab engineer will also be available to offer technical expertise and advice to enable Industry 4.0 businesses to flourish. Barclays’ local business banking team in Aberdeen and specialist ‘high-growth’ managers will also be available to provide banking support.
The facilities in Aberdeen will complement ONE CodeBase’s wider offering to provide a range of expert support for digital tech start-ups with unrivalled access to hot desks, co-working spaces, offices, meeting rooms and social areas. ONE CodeBase is a partnership between private-sector development body Opportunity North East (ONE) and the UK’s leading tech incubator CodeBase and sits at the heart of the digital community created by the ONE Tech Hub.
Stuart Brown, Head of SME Scotland at Barclays said: “Aberdeen has a wealth of businesses and entrepreneurs with ambitions, ideas and deep technical expertise who need access to the right resources and advice to help them start up and scale up. Opportunity North East and CodeBase share our vision for boosting economic prosperity and diversification through innovation and entrepreneurship. By working in collaboration, we can maximise the support we are able to offer business in the region.”